Sunday 24 February 2013

 The Third Chapter

Here in this post I have re-created my Nan's all time favourite and rather scrumptious.....
The Victoria Sandwich.
With this recipe I want to share the memories I have of making this cake, as it always reminds me of birthdays and special occasions.

With this cake I have also put my own twist into the recipe's ingredients.. instead of whipping cream I have used clotted cream. It gives the cake a completely different flavouring to the filling..... it is West Country Clotted Cream. (I wanted to put a bit of 'home' back into the recipe).
The Victoria Sandwich is a British favourite of the afternoon tea party or of the birthday get-together. It is really simple to make, even those who do not have the best culinary skills turn into Mary Berry with this recipe!
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 200g softened butter
  • 4 eggs , beaten
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons milk
For the filling....

  • 100g of Clotted Cream
  • 340g jar good-quality strawberry jam
  • icing sugar, to decorate 
  • TIP: set your oven first- heat your oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
Cream the butter and sugar together- melt the butter a little bit before adding this in.
Add the baking powder and self-raising flour
Whisk all the four eggs together in a jug to add to the mixture.
Then add the two tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk. 
Mix till you get a smooth batter-like consistency. 
This is the part where those who wish to lick the bowl may do so. However if Mrs Marsh is around when this cake is being made, don't try it! Trust me, I remember trying to as a child!
Spread the mixture equally as possible into the sandwich tins.  Then put into the pre-heated oven for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown. 
Tip: to check it is cooked through push your index finger onto the cake and if it bounces back it is ready to take out. 
Put the two sandwich cakes onto a wire rack to cool for a good half an hour.

Spread the filling on the two sides, one cream one jam.
 I haven't done mine as neatly as Mrs Marsh, however she would say I'm more of a Nigella...
Then place one on top of the other as quickly as you can!

Et voila! Here is the outcome to my efforts. 

What is also interesting is the Good Food website uses the same amount of ingredients and I have added the link to the blog for you to look at and compare. They do use a buttercream for their filling, however I think my addition of the Clotted Cream gives the cake a little twist of the West Country into it.

Jamie Oliver on his website:
He has a different version to my Nan's recipe however he includes a similar step by step guide to making his version. He even adds fresh strawberries!

So here you can try Mrs Marsh's, Good Food's or Jamie's. 
I vote for Mrs Marsh's!






1 comment:

  1. I really like your photos, the cake looks amazing! I've also enjoyed reading all your blog posts and love how you're writing about traditional wholesome food.

    ReplyDelete